Food Related Spanish Phrases
Listen To Food Related Spanish Phrases
A common question is: How do I talk about food in Spanish? Spanish speaking countries are famous for delicious foods. As you learn Spanish you'll enjoy learning about Mexican food and the famous foods of other Spanish speaking countries. The phrases and food types on this page will get you started learning some popular dishes in Spanish.Mexican food dishes are often served with a salsa and seasoned with tomatoes and onions and hot sauce and chili peppers. The popular dishes usually come with rice and beans.
In the list of Spanish foods that follows, you'll get familiar with the Mexican food staples of corn, rice, beans, and meat. You'll learn to say the popular egg dishes, soups, and appetizers. After you finish with this page you'll be familiar with some of the common Spanish food dishes.
On this page more than others it's a good idea to take advantage of the recording and listen carefully to the native spoken audio -- you'll get the correct pronunciation just the way it should be. By listening to the audio sound file and practicing the Spanish food dishes on this page you'll have more confidence talking about Spanish food whether you're at home with friends and family or out at your favorite Mexican restaurant.
Common Foods and dishes in Spanish Speaking Countries
- sopa de ajo
- garlic soup
- huevos revueltos
- scrambled eggs
- huevos rancheros
- fried eggs on tortilla with salsa
- huevos pasados por agua
- poached eggs
- huevos fritos
- fried eggs
- Frito is the Spanish word for fried. But to say french fries I hear the word papas or papitas. This will vary according to the region.
- huevos duros
- hard boiled eggs
- arroz con pollo
- chicken and rice
- cocido de res
- beef stew
- Popular soup made with hulled corn, vegetables, and meat (chicken , beef, or pork)
- This is a seafood dish often served as an appetizer. It's raw fish marinated in lemon juice and seasoned with tomato, onion, salt, and pepper. It's served cold on a crunchy tostada shell.
- frijoles refritos
- refried beans
- Refried beans are delicious and are commonly served with most mexican food. I remember being somewhat surprised to find out they are even served with eggs for breakfast in certain parts.