Teach Yourself Spanish
Teach Yourself Spanish is an audio CD and book course for Adult learners studying on their own with no previous knowledge of Spanish. The course is divided into 25 units - with each unit focusing on giving you the skill to use Spanish for a certain situation.
Some example scenarios are getting a room in a hotel, ordering in Spanish at a restaurant, travel information, chatting with a friend, making small talk, etc.
This course begins with the very basics of Spanish, then moves quite quickly and is able to to take you well into the upper-intermediate level of proficiency.
Here's a list of what you'll find in a typical unit. (each book chapter is a unit)
- Each unit has a number of Spanish conversations between 2 people - the dialogs are related to the topic of the unit.
- The key vocabulary words used in the dialogs are pulled out into a box and defined.
- Grammar section - several important grammar lessons that are illustrated related to a particular dialog. There's a lot of teaching in this course. Much of the 368 page book consists of teaching you quality Spanish grammar - But instead of overwhelming you with it all at one time, it's delivered in digestible, bite-size chunks along with the dialogs.
- Pronunciation - Many of the chapters/units have a section on pronunciation - These give you vital teaching on topics like the b/v sound, or making the correct d sound.
- The units end with a practice section where you can test what you've learned using fill in the blank, comprehension questions, verb conjugation, matching, etc.
The audio in the CDs is made to be used with the textbook. As you listen to the CD, each track begins with a reference to the corresponding book unit and section. You'll get the most benefit from the course if you use the book along with the CDs for most of your studying - then for extra practice with pronunciation you could use the audio CDs as you drive to work or do some other activity.
In Back Of The Book
At the back of the book is a Final Exam that covers all the material in the book - Answers are on the pages following the exam.
- There is a section called Taking It Further - It contains web sites for Spanish newspapers, magazines, Radio, Television, Travel to Spanish speaking countries, Culture and history... A lot of material if you're interested in continuing with extra study of Spanish.
- There's a grammar summary. Including a glossary of grammatical terms.
- Answers to all the book's activities are included.
- Sections on irregular verbs and vocabulary.
- The course consists of 2 audio CD disks and 1 book that has 368 pages.
- The suggested retail price of the course is $23.95
- Multiple native Spanish speakers give you the correct pronunciation of the conversations
- The disks give you questions on what you've learned, and a pause for you to practice saying the phrases.
- Extra effort (more than other courses) is made to teach both the formal and informal way to talk to someone in Spanish.